Some cool china wholesale suppliers images:
Geoduck take centre stage at China Seafood Expo
WI – WR – Historical Bristol Street Directory 1871
Image by brizzle born and bred
Mathews’ Bristol Street Directory 1871
Wilder Street, North Street to Grosvenor Road
John Smith, lath render
J. T. Ball and Sons, maltsters, etc
John Summerville, builder, etc
James Merry, black smith
Thomas Davis, chimney sweep
William Sherring, nail manufacturer William Nichols – In October 1884 he was 14 years old, living with his parents in Baptist Mills and working at Messrs W Sherring of Wilder Street, a nail manufactory. Whilst carrying iron from the bins he slipped and fell against the flywheel. By the time the machine was stopped, he was dead. There was a fence around the machine, but the workers were in the habit of ‘pushing it aside’.
Withy & Co. ginger-beer, lemonade & soda-water manufacturers
James Williams, 1, Cave street cottages
Eliza Snow, fly proprietor, 2, Cave street cottages
Joseph Johnson, carpenter & undertaker, 3, Cave street cottages
George Smith, boot maker
William Lambert, grocer, etc
Joseph Chard, baker & flour dealer
J. Andrews, chimney sweeper
Ann Winniatt, shopkeeper
Joshua Williams, builder
George Mico, grocer
Mary Weston, greengrocer
James Seamer, beer seller
Mrs William Paul, vict, Two Trees 1794. John Lewis / 1806. Isaac Phipps / 1816. Stephen Seager / 1820 – 22. J. Morrosson / 1823 – 32. Samuel Morrosson 1834 – 45. James Vickery / 1847 – 61. James Bale / 1863. Edwin Hamber / 1865 – 69. George Lambourne / 1871. Mrs. Paul 1872 – 75. George Wintle (jnr) / 1877 – 78. Sarah Sowden / 1879 to 1882. John Sharp / 1883. C. Tomkins.
George Howard, vict, Albion Tavern 1841 – 53. Elizabeth Morrison / 1858 – 66. Henry Couzens / 1867 to 1868. W. Watts / 1869. Francis Virtue / 1871. George Howard 1872 to 1875. S. Barton / 1876. T. C. Manning / 1877. S. Balderson / 1878. C. Wyman / 1879. Samuel Harris / 1882 – 83. William Tarr 1885 – 88. William Bailey / 1889. George Clohesey / 1891. Sarah Ann Knight / 1892. Rosina Pollard / 1896 – 99. Charles Spiller 1901. Edward Coles.
Charles King, vict, Royal Oak 1832 – 34. Henry Watkins / 1869. George King / 1871. Charles King / 1872 to 1874. Mabel King / 1875 – 83. Isabella King 1885. George Knott / 1886 – 1909. Frederick King / 1914 – 17. Ellen White / 1921 – 25. Angelina Reed.
James Newman, vict, Crown 1860. John Yeandel / 1866 – 82. James Newman / 1883 to 1887. Kate Morgan / 1888 to 1891. Kate Rowles / 1892. Thomas Dinan 1896 – 1901. George Jenkins.
James Nash, vict, Royal George 1860. Ann Mundy / 1863 – 72. James Naish / 1874 – 81. Joseph W. Keall / 1882 – 87. William Clements / 1889 – 1901. James Thatcher.
Harry Dimmock – Living at Wilder Street, he was buried at St Paul on January 19th 1839 aged 71.
Ann Roach – Aged 21 in November 1842, she was taken to the Infirmary as while she was crossing Wilder Street she was knocked down by a fly (cab) which passed over her leg and injured it severely.
Wildgoose Cottages, St Philip’s Marsh
Wilkin’s Cottages, Folly Lane
William Street, Grosvenor road to Ashley Road
1. Maria Fuller
2. William Barter
3. Samuel David White
4. Henry Critchett
5. George Hill
6. James Wilmot
7. Herbert Cousins
8. George Browning
9. Charles Williams
10. Henry Hobbert
11. John Edward Sollis
12. Henry Tom Moody
13. David Bank Edwards
14. William Henry Thomas
15. John Goodeve, tea dealer
G Drake – Lived at 31, King Square. On 2nd March 1899 wrote to the newspaper stating that John Drake carpenter convicted of theft at the assizes was no connection. He did have a son called John who was also a carpenter who resided at 25, William Street, St Pauls.
William Street, Dings
Samuel Isles, beer retailer (Off Licence)
Francis Evans, grocer
William Street, Pylle Hill, Totterdown
2. Edwin Nott, haulier
3. George and Henry Roe
74. Henry Haskins, baker, Victoria house
1. Gilbert Babbage, vict, King William Hotel 1868 – 69. Aaron Davy / 1871 – 83. Gilbert Babbage / 1885 – 88. Matilda Morse / 1889 – 91. Henrietta Thomas 1892 to 1896. John Southwood / 1897. Joseph Gair / 1899. H. Smith / 1904. Emily Newman / 1909. Joseph Gullock 1912 – 21. Florence Annie Geh / 1925 – 38. Frederick Grove.
Williams’ Court, off Barton Street
Richard Excell – Aged 46 in 1818, a shoemaker living with his wife in Williams’ Court, Barton Street, they, were receiving relief payments from St Peter’s Hospital.
Willway Street, Philip Street, Bedminster
Robert Lewis, grocer
William Morgan, mason
George Parker, vict, Willway Tavern 1871. George Parker / 1872 to 1886. Herman Tozer / 1887 – 89. Elizabeth Tozer / 1891 – 1906. Alfred Tozer 1909. William Saunders / 1914 – 21. Leonard Wyatt / 1925 – 31. Robert Wyatt.
Samuel Hardwick, vict, Eagle Tavern 1871 – 77. Samuel Hardwick / 1878. Eli Bowditch / 1881 – 82. William Fewings / 1883 – 91. William Hill / 1892. Joseph Wring 1896. Mary Jane Wring / 1899. Henry Nichols / 1901. William Bryant / 1904. M. Broomsgrove.
Jesse Bumbold, vict, Chequers Tavern Whitehouse Lane / Willway Street. 1865 – 87. Jesse Rumbold / 1888 – 99. Benjamin Rowse / 1901. Henry Pillinger / 1904 – 06. Mary Hampton / 1909. Henry Hampton 1914. William Bailey / 1917 – 21. Albert Evans / 1925 – 28. Nellie Catherine Foxwell / 1931. Gabriel Biggin 1934 – 38. William James Rowland.
Willway Street, Whipping Cat Hill to Lucky Lane
15. Thomas Chinnock, dairyman
Wethered, Cossham, and Wethered, coal merchants, Railway yard
16. J. Gazzard, grocer and beer retailer, vict, Beaufort Arms grocery, bakery and beer house. 1870 – 76. Joseph Gazzard / 1881 – 86. William Bowyer / 1888. H. Maynard / 1888 – 89. John H. Kennard / 1891. Charlotte Baker 1892. George Dunn / 1899. Elizabeth Gulley / 1901 – 06. Hannah Underdown / 1914. Harry Stubbins.
Wilmot’s Crescent, Rose Street, Great Gardens
Wilmot’s Vale, Pipe Lane, Temple
Wilson Avenue, Wilson Street to Cross Gardens
Charles W. Porter
John Woodward, carpenter and builder
George Dowling, smith
Edwin Mutton, boot maker
Wilson Court, Wilson Street
Wilson Place, Wilson Street
John Gore, 1, Wilson villas
William Mortimer, 2, Wilson villas
John Edwards, Aldine cottage
M. Bendell, Gloster cottage
John Cudler, mason
Joseph Davis, painter
Wilson Street, Portland Square to Cross Gardens
1. Charles D. Hall, relieving oﬁicer
2. George Higgs Masters
3. William Wills, (post office)
4. Mrs Parry
5. Angus Cameron, draper
6. Henry Jones, carpenter
7. Miss Louisa Roberts
8. James Perry, boot maker
9. Joseph Griffin
10. William Ackland
11. William Smith
12. Charles Allen
13. David Griffin
14. Amos Deacon
15. Edward Taplin
16. Thomas Jones
(Gideon Cottages Intersect)
13. James Burrell
14. George Winterson, mason
15. Charles Cuthbert
16. Daniel Chapple
17. James Larcombe, grocer & beer seller
18. Mrs Cox
19. John Routley, grocer & beer seller
St. Paul’s National School, Henry George Clevely, master, Miss Wood, mistress – see below
19. John Clark
20. Mary Smith
21. John Marsh, wood carver
22. Samuel Pullin
23. David Williams
24. John Wakley, mason
25. Thomas Wall
26. Jane Ash
27. Elizabeth Holder
28. James Kingcott, tailor and draper
29. Frank Webb
30. George Adlam, junr.
31. Charles Phillips
32. John Evans
33. Priscilla Mainwaring
31. Malcombe Robertson, tailor, etc
35. Sidney Sprod
36. John Postance
37. R. S. Deacon
38. Nathaniel Davis
Wright and Butler, lamp manufacturers of Birmingham. 1875 exhibited petroleum heating stoves at the 1875 Smithfield Club Show. Oil lamps with the American-style circular ‘The Union Burner’. By 1913 they had been taken over by Falk Veritas of London but use of the Trade name continued.
Parochial Schools, Wilson Street, St Pauls In 1883 225 boys, 162 girls. In 1898 185 boys, 162 girls. Some members of staff as listed in directories, etc: George Vernon (Teacher), Miss F Perry (Teacher) 1861 Mr Clevely (Teacher), Miss Roberts (Teacher) 1883.
Notes: In 1858 John Henry Trinder who had been a pupil teacher at the school was made a Queen’s Scholar, being entitled to 3 years’ education at one of Her Majesty’s Training Colleges free of charge. At the annual school treat in July 1861 400 children were present in the morning when they were examinaed in Scripture by Rev H Rogers, the incumbent and in grammar, gepgraphy and arithmetic by their respective teachers. In the evening there was a substantial tea in the school room which had been decorated with flowers and mottos. In the centre was suspended a white silk banner with a bridal rosette in the middle, as a token of regard of the incumbent’s daughter, Mary Anne Rogers, who had married Thomas Byard Winter Sheppard the previous week. The banner bore the words ‘God bless our pastor’s daughter – Happiness attend her’ in blue lettering.
George Vernon was Master for 18 years and in July 1868 he left to take up the Mastership of the Earl Ducies schools at Tortworth. Several of his past students started a collection and in the end there were 169 subscribers who gave a total of £25. He was presented with an English gold lever watch with guards and appendages and there was enough left over for a pair of vases for Mrs Vernon. At the presentation on July 20th he was also awarded an illuminated text. Edward William Clevely was the second son of George and Emma Clevely. He died aged 22 in October 1884. In July 1886 Ada Reilly Sims passed the examination for admittance to Red Maids.
Henry Flower – A groom in the service of Mr Tucker of Surrey Mews. He lived at 10, Wilson Street, St Pauls. In July 1885 he was riding a horse through Cumberland Street when the animal slipped and he sustained a compound fracture of the left leg.
Wilson Terrace, Wilson Street
1. Joseph Bridges
2-3. Harriett Thomas
4. George Case
5. William Blake, tailor
6. S. Barrett, painter, etc
7. Alfred Tucker
8. James Stokes
Windmill Hill, Whitehouse Lane
Edward Edgar, beer retailer
Edward Parsons, grocer
James Webber, boot maker, Clifton view cottage
Mrs Gummer, shopkeeper
Bethel Chapel (Congregational) founded 1855.
Windmill Hill Board School. Architect A R F Trew.
Sarah Annie Jones, vict, Rising Sun Alfred Road (Windmill Hill) 1853 – 63. William Old / 1871 – 72. Sarah Jones / 1874. William Cheeseman / 1875 to 1888. William Allen / 1889 – 92. John Crossman 1896 – 1917. William Haines / 1928 – 31. James Templar / 1933 – 50. William King / 1953. Walter Lippiatt.
William Bray, vict, Friendship Windmill Hill. 1871 – 1909. William Bray / 1914. Henry Bray / 1917 – 21. Maurice Gould / 1925. Rosina Gould / 1928 – 31. Rosina Parfitt 1935 – 38. Frederick Burchill / 1950 – 53. Frederick Thorne / 1960. R. C. Loveridge / 1975. D. W. Hooper.
Edwin Griffiths, vict, Saddler’s Arms 1871. Edwin Griffiths.
Ann Callow, grocer
George Merritt, butcher
Stephen Hopper Hemmings, vict, Spotted Horse Providence Place (Mill Lane) 1842 – 58. Henry Wakefield / 1860 – 69. Samuel Barber / 1871 – 72. Stephen Hopper Hemmings / 1874 – 78. William Davey 1879. George Parker / 1881 – 97. Isaac Gould / 1899. William Brayley / 1904 – 38. Alfred Giles / 1944 – 50. Albert May 1953. Ernest Edward May.
Henry Parker, vict, Colston’s Arms Providence Place, Mill Lane. 1775. Evan Williams / 1792. John Cox / 1837 – 40. James Parker / 1842 – 87. Henry Parker / 1888 – 1901. Charles R. Parker 1904. Frederick Bishop / 1904 to 1908. William Hamlyn / 1909 – 21. Thomas Horner / 1925 – 44. Edwin Nathaniel Watkins 1950 – 53. Frederick Prideaux.
John Cox (d. January 1899) Aged 43 of Alfred Road, Windmill Hill, found dead in bed. Inquest revealed he suffered pains in his chest. Verdict cardiac failure.
John Howell (d. February 1872) He was 46 when he was found dead in a limekiln on Windmill Hill. His wife Eliza, who had been separated from him for 5 years said he had formerly been a cooper, but due to drink he had had a paralytic seizure and had been put in the workhouse.. He had however left the day before and slept in the kiln where he was found dead by George Rogers a limeburner, on arriving for work.
Windmill Hill Terrace, Windmill Hill
New Mission, Windmill Hill This was opened in August 1884. Rev Canon Mather speaking at the ceremony said many years ago he had unsuccessfully tried to get a church built in the area and was glad to see that there was now a mission rooms. It was beautiful, inexpensive but in want of so many things, not even a harmonium as the one that was there that day had been lent to them. The room was capable of holding 230 people, being 45′ 6" by 20′ 6" with a gallery at one end and a movable platform at the other. On top of the building was a gilded weathervane representing a windmill. A design for a church had been approved at that time, but money was required to carry out the building of it.
Windsor Court, Blackfriars, Lewin’s Mead
Blackfriars Board School, Maudlin Street. Some members of staff as listed in directories, etc: J Whippey (Master), Miss Sophia Vigor (Mistress) 1883-1865 Miss Mitchell (Mistress) 1898.
Moravian Day, Sunday and Infant Schools, Blackfriars and Maudlin Street. In 1872 for 100 boys and 100 girls. Some members of staff as listed in directories, etc: Mr Stockman (Master, Miss Vigor (Mistress) 1872.
Windsor Court, Temple Street
Windsor Court, Kingsland Road
Windsor Terrace, Whitehouse Lane
William H. Gregory, chemist
Thomas Webb, greengrocer
Samuel Hignell, grocer, etc
John Perrett, vict, Forester’s Arms Whitehouse Lane. 1871. James Perrett / 1872. John Perrett / 1874 – 77. James Crof / 1879 – 89. Wellington Beaven / 1891 – 1917. William Evans 1921 – 35. Arthur Evans / 1936 – 1937. Caroline Evans / 1937. Grace Johnson / 1944 – 53. Caroline Sutor.
Henry Dalton – In February 1872 he was 35 years old, a labourer of 28, Windsor Terrace, Bedminster. He had been unloading bags of sugar from the ship Zanzibar, when he stumbled and fell about 20 feet into the hold and died on the spot. An inquest was held.
Windsor Terrace, Granby Hill, near Paragon, Clifton
1. Joseph Tinn
2. Mrs McGeachey
3. Michael Castle
4. Rev. Walter J. Whiting
5. Isaac Allan Cooke
7. Henry Tayler
10. Miss P. Usher
Herbert De Winton, Windsor villa
William F. Fox, 1, Windsor place
Arthur Carter, 2, Windsor place
Windsor Terrace, St Paul’s
1. William Garrard
2. Robert Couch
3. Samuel James Toleman
4. Mary Matthews
5. Thomas Austin
6. Noah Browning
7. Charles Wathen
8. Sarah Harding
9. William Besley (police)
Windsor Terrace, Totterdown
George Richardson, shipping agent
Charles Thomas, builder
William Paul, mason
Charles Woodman, cooper
J. L. Vincent, pianoforte tuner
Windsor Terrace, Woolcott Park
J. R. Freeman
Herr Voit, professor of music
H. R. Wheeler
James Chard, British schoolmaster
Alfred R. Watson, professor of music
W. French, grocer & provision factor
George Wolfe 1834-1890 Born in Bristol, adopted in early life by a Mrs Buckley of Windsor Terrace, Clifton. Painted marine views and landscapes, oil and watercolour. On his marriage went to live in Hampshire.
Wine Street, Corn Street to Narrow Wine Street
1. Mary Bell, ﬁshmonger & fruiterer
J. W. Trew, surveyor
F. Powell, lithographer
2-3. William and Alfred Edwards, hosiers, glovers, etc
4. Samuel Miller, stationer, fancy depot
5. George Nattriss, confectioner
6. Cotterell Brothers, paper-hangings manufacturers
7-8. O’Handlen & Co., umbrella & ﬁshing tackle manufacturers
9. Samuel J. Burman, watch maker, etc
10. Charles M’Millan, tailor and draper
11-13. A. T. Maishman, milliner and fur manufacturer
14. Baker & Burt, ladies’ outﬁtters, etc
15-16. Charles and Son, tailors
17. Ridler, Coulman, & Co. Manchester warehousemen, etc
18. Joseph Vincent, brush & comb maker
19. G. Edwards and Son, outﬁtters
20. John Catlin, brush and comb maker
21. Edward John, hat maker
21. O. Ransford, wholesale hat maker
22. James Candy & Son, linen warehouse
23. John Stroud, chemist
24-26. John W. Langdon & Co. woollen merchants
27-28. Gray & Co., milliners, etc
29. J. Barker, glass and china warehouse
30. William Pockson & Son, fringe and fancy warehouse
31. Maurice Michael, watchmaker and pawnbroker
32. Wills, Biggs and Williams, general warehousemen
33-35. S. Weston, milliner and mantle warehouseman
36. Thomas Bale, watchmaker, etc
37. Martin Wintle, silk mercer, etc
38. Henry Peart, straw warehouse
39. Hillyer & Trew, hosiers & lacemen
40. Thomas Thompson, hosier & laceman
41. Henry Jacob Allis, watch maker
42. David Hyam, outﬁtter
43. Sharp and Granger, linen drapers
44. Todd and Co. outﬁtters
45-47. Snow and Taylor, linen drapers, silk mercers, etc
48. Coombs & Co. woollen drapers
49. J. Lodge & Co. bonnet, fur, and mantle warehouse
50-54. Baker, Baker, & Co. warehousemen, drapers, etc
55. Richard Taylor, linen draper, etc
56-60. Jones & Co. linen drapers, etc
61-62. D. P. Belﬁeld & Son, toy & fancy goods warehouse
63-64. J. A. Hodgson, hosier and outﬁtter
65. J. Baker, hosier and shirt maker
66. Maurice Moore, tobacconist and foreign money exchange
67. Thomas W. Tilly, hat & umbrella maker & fancy bag dealer
Adam and Eve, Wine Street (also listed as Wine Street Passage) For sale on 19th January 1860 as in the possession of George Knowland under lease for 14 years from 14th September 1857, rent £105. Freehold and free. Listed in Inn and Commercial Tavern section.
Information on landlords: F Probart 1824 Edwin Ward 1836-40 George Knowland 1852 G Knowland 1867 George Frederick Knowland 1878 Elizabeth Knowland 1882. Notes: Richard Trotman described as ‘late landlord’ died aged 46 at Coronation Road on March 20th 1840.
Notes: Mr Knowland had a disagreement with T Jones of Jones & Co when the firm’s new store was being erected in Wine Street owing to a part of a cellar used by Mr Knowland being purchased by Mr Jones during the construction. This boiled over on 1st May 1855. Mr Jones had been celebrating a win in Chancery with a group of friends at the house of Mr McMillan, consuming half a dozen bottles of champagne between them which they decided would benefit froma a brandy and water chaser. So they went to the Adam and Eve, whereupon Mr Knowland burst out, grabbed Mr Jones by the collar, pushed him against a wall and swore that he would not enter. After asking him by letter to apologise and send an amount to the Bristol Infirmary, to which there was no reply, Mr Jones brought a case against Mr Knowland that was heard at the Tolzey Court in July. After hearing the evidence the Recorder stated that it would be better settled out of court, which was done.
In 1856 John Baker was charged at Bristol Police Court with stealing three coats from the tavern, the property of Mr Knowland, the landlord. Baker, a recruit, to whom Mr Knowland was said to have shown great kindness, was said to have confessed his guilt and to be very contrite and on the landlord.s intercession the charge was dropped and Baker handed over to his sergeant.
In January 1870 it was reported that for many years Mr Knowland had placed on the smoking tables each Saturday a box in aid of the Royal Infirmary and General Hospital, He had regularly, until recently before his health failed, shaken the box before each customer in the 2 rooms with a friendly request for a penny. The collection for 1861 amounted to 25 guineas, in 1869 was £25 4s.
Mr Knowland was also a visitor at St Peter’s Hospital and Robert James ‘a big powerful man’ who had been an inmate and knew him from this work was taken to court on 1868 for threatening him when he would not offer employment. In 1883 Mrs Knowland reported the collection boxes holding £2 12s 8d.
In March 1884 Albert O’ Brien and Albert Richards were charged with having stolen a pint measure from the pub. It was noticed by a policeman that the measure was marked with ‘Knowland, Adam and Eve’ on the side. O’Brien said that he had ordered the beer just before closing time and could not finish it all so he had taken the cup away and was going to return it the next week. They were fined 11s without costs.
George Beard – In October 1892 was charged along with his elder brother George, with stealing dress material and other goods from Messrs Jones in Wine Street. George had been employed by the firm as a porter for 2 years. A shop assistant, Helen Anstey stated that she had cut a length of dress material and put it aside and when she returned it was missing. At 6pm George asked her for paper to wrap a parcel and when she followed him the cloth was found there. He pleaded guilty and when he was accompanied to 2, Orchard Street, the Batch, where he lived other pieces of material were found there. His brother lived in 54, Goodhind Street , where more material was found.
Eliza Emily Cottrell, of Wine Street. Declared bankrupt 2nd June 1868.
Joseph Dyer – A lodging house keeper of Wine Street, inserted a notice in the newspaper, February 1818, expressing thanks to the Governor, Deputy Governor and Guardians of the Poor for not prosecuting him ‘for suffering Margaret Thomas, a single woman to lye in at my house of a Bastard Child, thus bringing a charge upon the parish of St Peter’.
Widow Foord – In 1757 was a glover. Lived near the Corn Market in Wine Street.
Catherine Forster (d. 18th January 1805) Eldest daughter of Mr Joseph Forster formerly an apothecary in Wine Street. Died in her 30th year of a consumption ‘as did her two sisters, a few years past.’ according to obituary notice.
Ralph Oliff – Landlord of the Three Tuns In Wine Street. Was sheriff in 1664 and mayor in 1673 and it is claimed he said he took office ‘solely to persecute the Nonconformists.’ Died aged 64 and was buried in the chancel of All Saints.
Mrs Oxley – In 1827 she and three of her children perished in a fire in Wine Street.
Philip Scapulis (d. 1590) Originally from Trier, a stationer lived in Wine Street. In 1577 he was involved (with others) in a dispute with the Attorney General regarding whether their houses which had previously belonged to the Merchant Tailors’ Guild were therefore property of the Crown It was decided by jury that this was not the case. Wife Elizabeth, daughter Margaret, who was born in 1581 and died 4 years later. It is unlikely that he had any other children as they are not mentioned in his will which left bequests to cousins and godsons, neighbours and an ex-apprentice Richard Foorde.
Businesses Wine Street
The Don, 45 and 46 Wine Street (Clothing) The Bristol branch of the Don opened in 1883 under Manager W H Forsyth, who presided over a staff of 30. was one of many in towns throughout England. The upper floor housed workrooms, where at the end of the 19th century sewing machines were ‘driven by an engine, also acting as the motor for the dynamo forming the generator for the electric light installation.’ The height of technology in the high street.
While bespoke tailoring was carried on using these sewing machines, the ready to wear items were made at Stroud. This enabled them to charge the customer only one shilling per ready-made item over the cost price. The handsome premises were destroyed during the Second World War, although the company carried on. Moving to the top of Park Street, particularly noted in the later years as recommended suppliers of school uniforms.
Parnall & Sons, Narrow Wine Street Parnall’s – much more than shop fitters, although this advertisement was specifically aimed at the grocery trade.
H G Parnall founded the business in 1820 and in 1893 it was being described as ‘immense’, having become a limited company some four years earlier. As well as the main warehouse and showroom in Narrow Wine Street, the company had an iron and brass foundry at Rosemary Street and a steam joinery at Fairfax Street. Scales and weighing machines (including the Patent National Balances invented by Mr Parnall and 20,000 sold between 1883 and 1893) were manufactured at Fishponds. The Patent Agate Hand Scales were described as ‘specially worthy of the attention of tea dealers……when suspended above the counter they will work three times as long as any other scale without getting out of order’.
The wide range of items manufactured and supplied also included weighbridges (suitable for railway companies, collieries and public corporations), scoops, sack lifters, barrows and trucks, canisters (in large variety), counter boxes and window show trays, show glasses, butchers’ and other warranted cutlery, marble top tables (for restaurants etc), show stands, treacle cisterns, safes and cash boxes, patent tills, provision tickets, window name plates, tobacco cutters and tobacconists’ fixtures, chairs, bottling machines hand carts, coffee mills, tea mixers, hoists, lifts and gas engines.
They employed 10 representatives on the road and 400 workmen.
Winscombe Buildings, Frogmore Street
Winscombe Court. Frogmore Street
Winsford Street, Pennywell Road, Stapleton Road
Joseph Thorley, painter, etc
Thomas Curtis, tailor, etc
Mary Gapper, greengrocer, etc
James H. Cole, grocer & tea dealer
Mrs Mary Young
Charles Turner, mariner
Thomas Rutley, shoe maker
Joseph Snell, tanner, etc
Alfred Johnson, mechanic
Fitzroy Robert Colborne, painter and glazier
John Jennings, baker
Simeon Millman, tea dealer
Mary Jenkins,vict, Pine Apple Pennywell Road. In 1881 Mary Jenkins described herself as ‘publican – out of business’. 1853. Robert Fewing / 1854. Mary Fewing / 1861 – 66. James Webber / 1867 – 79. Mary Jenkins / 1883 – 1904. William Whitaker 1909 – 21. Charles Tristram / 1925 – 38. Henry Castle / 1944 – 53. Edith Holbrook (James Webber was a publican, and potato dealer).
Winsley Villas, Coburg Road, Montpelier
Woburn Place, near Grenville Place, Hotwells
Woodbury Place, Black Boy Hill
Woodbury Terrace, Blackboy Hill
Woodland Road, Tyndall‘s Park to Cotham Road
Miss Butt, Bannerleigh house
James Proctor, Moreton house
Robert H. Symes, Carlton house
Capt. Charles Mallard, R.N. Dundonald house
Thomas N. Harwood
Augustus Phillips, Lansdown house
J. S. Marchant, Somerville house
William Sturge, Chilliswood house
John Hill Morgan, Parklands house
Alfred Gardiner, Dale villa
Iron Church In the fashionable suburb of Clifton, amid the large villas, a mission church was built of iron in 1865. Plans were drawn up for a permanent church by the celebrated architect James Piers St Aubyn, his only church in Bristol, and building was slow, 1870-81. His planned steeple, similar in appearance to that built at Christ Church, never rose above the basement stage and serves as a rather enormous NW porch.
Concerns about the stability of the building brought in John Bevan and he rebuilt part of the nave and chancel, completed 1909. It survived in use until 1976 when the parish was joined to St Saviour. The joint parish purchased the redundant Highbury Chapel c1975 which in turn was restored and rededicated to St Saviour & St Mary, Cotham to replace both buildings. The BBC purchased the Tyndall’s Park church for use as a scenery store. The interior was subdivided and a new entrance created in the north aisle. The church was acquired in the mid-1990s by a free-church congregation, and now in use as the Woodlands Christian Centre. Work began in July 2000 to convert the upper floor into supported housing and the ground floor is to be retained for worship.
Abergeldie, Woodland Road, Clifton No 19 in road. left hand side going towards Park Row.
Bannerleigh, Woodland Road, Clifton No 15 in road. left hand side going towards Park Row.
Carlton House, Woodland Road, Clifton No 11 in road. left hand side going towards Park Row.
Dundonald House, Woodland Road, Clifton No 9 in road. left hand side going towards Park Row.
Gordon Lodge, Woodland Road, Clifton No 17 in road. left hand side going towards Park Row.
Woodland Terrace, Hampton Road to Auburn Road
1. David Clarke Lindsey
2. Miss Eliza Peters
3. M. A. H. Wood
5. Caroline Ridgway
6. Edward Joseph Heyre
Woodwell Cottages, White Hart Lane
Woodwell Crescent, Jacob’s Wells
Woolcott Buildings, Lower Redland Road to Clyde Road
1. William Pincott
2. John Guppy
3. Benjamin Hall, grocer
4. Mrs Boxwell
5. Thomas Gammon
6. George Morgan, dairyman
7. George Parsons
8. James Carp
9. Walter Mizen, junior
10. Walter Mizen, senior
11. John Shorland, carpenter
12. Maurice Taylor, carpenter and stationer
13. Jeremiah Wicks
14. John Henson, boot maker
15. John Bool
16. William John Woodman
17. Enos Boulter
18. ?. Fear
19. John Knight
20. Enoch Ford
21. Isaac House, greengrocer & fruiterer, Fairﬁeld cottage
22. Thomas Roberts, dairyman
23. T. Roberts, teacher of the piano, etc
24. Mrs Ann Ricketts
Miss Catherine Downs, dressmaker
Thomas Skyrme, vict, Shakespeare Tavern Lower Redland Road 1867 – 75. Thomas Skyrme / 1876 – 83. Emma Skyrme / 1885 – 92. Jane Marie Tavener / 1894 – 1928. Jane Marie Row 1931 – 35. John Pullen / 1937 – 50. William Hardwell / 1953. Lily Rose / 1975. A. T. H. Bryant Jane Marie Tavener/Rowe was the niece of Thomas and Emma Skyrme.
Woolcott Park, Clyde Road to Lover’s Walk
Uriah Mullett, dairyman & haulier
William Knowles, Rhosven lodge
Albert Gribble, Wynn house
Robert Acton Dodds, Gordon house
?. Stockwell house
Capt. Thomas W. Hives, Marlbro’ villa
George Gatchell, Carrville villa
Mrs Frankland Evelyn villa
W. B. Morgan, Brockley villa
Mrs Mary Harris, Merton villa
Mrs Hannah Hall, Eversley house
Alfred Albert Holmes, Northcote house
Arthur G. Heaven, Lyndhurst villa
Mrs Francis Gatchell, Sunnyside villa
Alfred P. Menefy, Dunmore villa
Mrs John Dix, Penmaen villa
Mrs Mary Ann Williams, Kingmead villa
Christopher Pocklington, Didsbury villa
William Arthur Leonard, Woolbury villa
John Clarke Wallop, Innisville villa
Miss C. Dickenson, Sidney lodge
George Young Home, Roseville villa
James Bailey, Sidney house
Mrs Edmond Gill, Old Cleve house
?. Rock house
Edwin Tardrew, Newlands villa
Henry Wansborough, Bewdley villa
?. Ahorn house
James Buck, Brookville lodge
Jesse Harris, Clarefont house
Eliza Knowles, Myrtle lodge
Dennis Fairchild, Melrose villa
Miss Chard, Gouldnappe house
?. Fripp, Carr villa
St Saviour’s Infant School, Woolcott Park. In 1898 for 100 children. Some members of staff as listed in directories, etc: Misss A Coombe (Mistress) 1898.
Charles Seaman – Living at 6. Leigh Villas, Woolcott Park when prosecuted by Bristol School Board in January 1875 for not sending children to school and fined 3 shillings.
Woolcott Park Terrace, Woolcott Park
George Henry Pike, Gifford lodge
Mrs Isabella Butler, Wilton villa
Christopher Waltham Porter
Miss Morgan, ladies’ school
Worcester Crescent, College Road (South)
Joseph B. Powell
Admlral James Vashon Baker
Montagu Gilbert Blackburn
Miss Elizabeth Salmon
Worcester Lawn, College Road (South)
Joseph L. Roeckel, professor of music
Rev. Beedam Charlesworth
Mrs Christian C. Jones
Dr. George Thompson
Worcester Terrace, Clifton Park
Frederick William Badock, Badminton house
Charles Stewart Clarke
Rev. Nicholas Pocock
Rev. F. Vaughan Mather
William Edward Fox
Mrs Catherine Span
Robert Dow Ker
Rev. Philip Ashby Phalps
Sshools Clifton Park
Anna Maria Notley & Louisa Nascele Harris, school, Worcester House, Worcester Terrace.
Miss Bartlett’s School for Young Ladies, Badminton House, Clifton park, Clifton. Listed 1898.
Clifton High School for Girls, Clifton Park, Clifton.
A R Douglas’ School for Young Gentlemen, Colchester House, Clifton Park, Clifton. Listed 1898.
Worcester Villas, College Road (South)
Francis Black, M.D. Worcester lodge
William Killegrew Wait
Major Owen, Barham lodge
Swinfen Jordan, Cherith lodge
Wordsworth Terrace, Woolcott Park
World’s End, White Hart Steps, Jacob’s Wells
Worrall’s Road, Caroline Row, Durdham Down
Wright’s Court, Pipe Lane, Temple Street